Final Survey on Children’s Play Facilities at the Seafront launched
The Parish Council has sought views in recent months on a modest proposal to extend the current Toddler Play Park adjacent to the Needles Eye Café to accommodate the needs of older children.
As a result, the Parish Council has removed from the earlier proposals a suggested skate park and zip wire and has reduced the height of the suggested climbing frame to 4 metres.
The key reasons the Parish Council favours providing additional as an extension to the toddler play park are that it would:
- Provide equipment for a wider range of children
- Be subject to informal oversight which is a feature emphasised by Play England
- Encourage older youngsters who currently use (and sometimes commandeer) the toddler provision to use the new facility instead
- Be adjacent to the café and public toilets
The Parish Council recognises that the siting of additional play facilities would for some be a sensitive issue and has, therefore, considered all other possible sites:
1. Barnes Lane Recreation Ground
2. Land Owned by PC at Swallow Drive
3. Various locations along the sea front – Stony Area Opposite the old coach park, the coach park itself, both areas either side of the café and the old putting green.
4. MoS1 School Lane
5. Studland Common, Studland Meadow, Baskets Field (Keyhaven), Sturt Pond
After this careful examination of each site, the Parish Council has come to the conclusion that:
- Sites at the edge of the village are too remote to be attractive to children or acceptable to parents
- Other sites such as the “Old Putting Green” and areas to the east of Hurst Road were ruled out for a variety of reasons identified in discussion with NFDC officers
- The sports field at Barnes Lane Recreation Ground is fully used and the Carrington Lane Play Park now accommodates a small football pitch and is too small to accommodate more play facilities.
The Parish Council would welcome your response to the following 4-question survey by 8th December:
Paper copies are also available in the Parish Office.
Click on the links below to see the revised plans: